Thursday, November 1, 2012

painted cowboy boots


I LOVE BOOTS!
Especially cowboy boots.
I always notice a nice pair of boots.  
I use to work for The Fort Western Stores in purchasing and graphics.
I got to see all the new boots each season. 
Talk about a dream job!!!
It really fed into my obsession.  I have quite a stock pile of boots.
I have practical boots to wear to do chores in.
I have comfy pairs to wear on a daily basis.
I have fun and flashy pairs to wear over jeans or with dresses (my all time favorite outfit!!!).
AND I also have the boots that I don’t ever wear.
Oh hush, you have those too!!!
They may not be boots, 
but you have the shoes, shirts, pants or coats that you never wear.
They were either a good idea at the time or a good price.
Either way they don’t get to see daylight often, if at all.
I have a pair of boots like that.

I had a brown pair of boots that I loved they were very versatile 
and I figured I should get a pair in black also.
Well the back pair never quite fit into my wardrobe.
I never found an outfit that NEEDED these boots.
I always had another pair that worked better with the outfit.
So they were retired before they ever got a chance.
Now was the time to take a chance with them.
I never wore them anyway!  Who cares if they didn’t turn out?
I decided to paint them…..YES PAINT THEM!
Who does that?  This girl!
 I dug through my craft paint supply. 
I decided on turquoise, and brown.
I had a bowl of water and few different sizes of paint brushes.
I didn’t really have a game plan.
Other then do it during nap time!
My little cowgirls love to help and honestly are not always the best help.

Away I went.
I made sure to use quite a bit of water so it was thin layers and not a heavy thick coat.
I didn’t want to chance any chipping with a thick coat of paint.
The boot leather had a texture to them and I wanted to see that thru the paint, so the thin coats worked well.
If you use too much water you could run into bleeding!
I did not run into that but I do want to warn you that all leather is different and so test it out and make adjustments as need for your specific pair.
And this is how they turned out!!!!
LOVE!!!!!
I wanted them to have a little sass from all directions!  I think I succeeded!
They are now my favorite pair.
OK it’s a tie, with theses!   
Guess where I purchased them?

Yep you guessed it, The Fort Western Stores

You can check the boots out out here.


Here is the link to the black boots I painted!
Also from The Fort.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Suzi! Those are just fabulous, you did a great job. I've had a pair of my boots painted before but I have never been brave enough to attempt to paint them on my own. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzi,

    Lovely site! The most fantastic family photo I've seen in sometime. Thanks for visiting at RWR, we're so excited you've joined us.

    Kind regards,
    Kasse D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do our family picture every year. I try to make each year different. I'm very pleased with this Years! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I think these are my size :o) B E A U T I F U L!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Knock Off Gringo's! You did an amazing job. Get's me to thinkin.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's SO amazing; I'm so impressed!! You did a great job!! :) I love that you have a big collection of cowgirl boots...my fave :) What is your fave brand?

    XOXO
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are Stetson's and I love them! But overall Ariats are my favorite! They have a wide variety comfy SUPER comfy"

    ReplyDelete
  7. have the chipped or peeled away at all? I have a pair that is in need some love and thought painting would be the trick but they don't have any designs to them liek yours. wondering if I should just try modge podgeing them with fabric instead....love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently painted boots that I was blinging out for Durango Street Team Bling Your Boots Mission. I used a clear coat to cover the paint so it wouldn't come off. Unfortunately I wasn't bright enough to tape/cover areas that I didn't paint. Now my boots are extremely sticky. Any ideas on how to fix that? I love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete