Friday, June 28, 2013

Tom Osborne {The TeamMates Program}

This past weekend I had the opportunity to meet Tom Osborne.  In Nebraska he is legendary. There is a level of respect for him that is hard to explain.  And not because he took our Huskers to three national championships and 255 victories (although that is awesome!!!) but because he is an amazing individual.  He has amazing values, morals and religious understanding.  You don’t have to follow football to know who Coach Tom Osborne is. 
He has done a lot for our state {and beyond}!!! 

So why did I meet him?
Well he came to do a presentation at our summer gathering for our local economic development committee.  He came to specifically talk about the TeamMates Program.  I have to admit I have heard of the program and I knew the overall concept but I never knew details. 
The mission of TeamMates is to positively impact the world by inspiring youth to reach their full potential. The TeamMates Program began in 1991 with the vision of University of Nebraska Head Football Coach Tom Osborne and his wife Nancy. The program began with twenty-two football players who met with middle school students in the Lincoln Public Schools. TeamMates has expanded and currently there are more than 6,000 youth in 115 communities across Nebraska, Iowa and California!
Tom shared some startling stats about our nation’s youth. Along with his statisics he also inclued jokes and bible verses.  All which made you think, think deep, and realize what a valuable program this is.  I wish I would have recorded the presentation (or taken notes).  I went there thinking “Yay I get to listen to Tom Osborne” but I had no idea how impactful he would be.  His presentation was very inspiring! {which I should have expected}.  If you or anyone you know would be interested in being a mentor please PLEASE look into it.  It is really amazing the impact one mentor can have.




Join the Team! Be a Mentor!
TeamMates Mentoring Program is a one hour a week school-based mentoring program. 

Who can volunteer? 
Any adult 18 and over with an interest in supporting a young person can become a Teammates mentor for a youth grades 3-12.

How much time does it actually take?
Just 1 hour a week!
What time of day would I meet with my mentee?
As a school based mentoring program, you can meet with your mentee anytime during the school day.
What do we do when I go to mentor?
You should let your mentee take a lead in deciding what to do during your time together. Play a board game or cards, do a craft, play on a computer, read, talk about your week, do homework, or go to the school gym! Visit the TeamMates.org resource library for more ideas!
I don’t want to be matched with a student who doesn’t want to meet with me. How does that work?
All students have indicated to the TeamMates Coordinator that they want to have a mentor. the TeamMates Coordinator meets with you before making a match – this is your opportunity to let the coordinator know your interest and hobbies and schedule. Matching is made based on similiar interests.
My schedule changes every week. Is that a problem?
Not at all. Just communicate your schedule with the TeamMates Coordinator.
Can we meet off school grounds?
Yes, occasionally. However, meeting outside of school should never replace the weekly meetings at school.
What types of support and programming does TeamMates offer their mentors?
TeamMates Coordinators have regular contact with mentors offering guidance and support. TeamMates also offers ongoing training opportunities and an entire resource library dedicated to helping you make the most of your mentoring relationship.
1. Apply 2. Train 3. Meet your Mentee
Questions? Call 1-877-531-TEAM (8326)

Visit the TeamMates Website

Thanks Tom!
Thank you to you and your wife for coming up with the TeamMates Mentor Program!

1 comment:

  1. WOW that is really awesome!! I heard of the program but I guess I never knew the details. Thanks for sharing this!! Tom is truly a legend!!

    Shelly@ Minettestesmaze

    ReplyDelete