Monday, October 22, 2012

The cutest coop in town


We recently built a chicken coop.  It is SOOOO cute.

The cutest coop in town (I think anyway).


I drew up some plans and my wonderful husband built in less than a week. 
It’s not large is size, only 4x6ft, but it is LARGE in style!  
 I love my cute little coop!  It was built out of crooked lumber and old unused items. 
 The front pillars were given to me a few months back. 
The door was in the loft of the barn when we moved out here.  
 The door was a very narrow, which made it the perfect proportion for our small coop.
Here is my 4 year old helping daddy build, she is dressed in style.  
 She takes after her momma, as she always has on her accessories.


 I painted the wood siding the same color of our house.
The cream shutters also mimic our house. 
The coops exterior was finished off with a tin roof.

                    
I wanted a cute coop but it still needed to be functional.   We added a fully functional window.  Yes the window serves an obvious purpose but it also is so fun to peak in at the birds through the window.


Our coop is fully insulated and has electricity. 
My husband even put up an extra outlet outside just in case the coop needs Christmas lights come the holiday season (That is what I would call and enabler...LOVE HIM!!!!).


We did 6 nesting boxes hung on the wall.  I love the wood slat shingle roof on the nesting box. 
    

I had an old ladder up in the rafters of our corn crib.  I had been eyeing it for a while. 
 We cut it into 3 pieces (it was REALLY tall) and used to for perches inside (and outside)
of the coop.  We attached it to the wall so it won’t get knocked over. 
It works great and the chickens love it!  


Outside of the coop we did a fenced in area.   I would love to have free range chickens but I don’t think they would survive here (I will try someday, just not yet).
We had to put a net up to keep the chickens in and to keep the barn cats out.
We put up a dutch door to the fenced in side.  It works so well. 
It gives a lot of versatility and honestly a dutch door is just FUN!!!!!  
 We also put up a ladder perch outside next to the coop.
There is also another ladder leaning up again the far end of the fenced area.


If it’s a chicken coop why is there a goat in it??? 
Well that is Miss Pearl.  She won’t stay in the pen with our other goat.
She is just too small and slips right out. 
So she lives with the chickens for now.  She even uses the chicken ramp door. 

Since you have been introduced to Pearl I should introduce you to the chickens too.  
The rooster in named Zipper, and the 2 little ladies are Shinny and Rainbow
(my 4 year old named them). 
We are now looking for a few more hens (that are already laying eggs).
I actually love having the chickens and goat together,
it’s been a lot of fun to watch them interact. 

This coop has been such a fun project for the whole family. 
The girls really enjoyed helping build it and now we are all enjoying the chickens
(and baby goat). 

I’m done till spring….Shhh don’t tell my hubs.  
 He doesn’t know I have MORE plans for the coop.  
 I’m planning on putting up a window box
and putting a bench outside for us to sit at and watch the ladies of the coop.

Good news.  The coop weathers the Nebraska winds last week. 
Our playset is another story,
but now we have this really neat piece of wood and metal abstract sculpture in the back yard. Add that to the “todo” list. At least I know I’ll have plenty more to write about!  
 Stay tuned…..

21 comments:

  1. Ok, I am totally inspired. I've been needing to build new roosts in our coop, but I haven't gotten around to it. Well, I have a few old ladders sitting in my garage right now!

    AND, I have been thinking about getting a goat since we took the horse to pasture for the winter. He can just go right in with the chickies!

    And, um, hello! Your coop is ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great! Do you have a sign that says The Hen House or the Campbell Cluck House or something fun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not yet! BUT I WANT TO MAKE ONE. I'm still waiting to find the right name! :) I'm not sure what to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DARLING!! A very well designed coop! I must say... I love your husband's little helper... all decked out for a day on the job! (Reminds me of one of mine who dresses like she's in high cotton when working at times - LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! This is quite inspiring.
    I must bookmark this page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! I love the picture of your four-year-old helping in her accessories. Also, your husband is an encourager, rather than an enabler, perhaps? I didn't think Christmas lights were a dysfunction, but then I don't know how far you like to go with them. ;) Anyway I love it.

    Natalia
    http://preputilityvehicle.blogspot.ca/
    Free self-sufficiency ebooks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your coop is adorable! Those chickens will definitely live in style. I'm not sure if you've kept chickens before, but if not, you may want to check out my recent post on getting started with backyard chickens. It has everything I wanted to know when I was getting started!
    http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/getting-started-with-backyard-chickens/
    I love the tiny goat living with the chickens, too, by the way!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm going to check it out now.

      And thank you for the compliments. Its been a lot of fun for the whole family.

      We just had a coop naming contest! It ended today :)

      Delete
  8. Love your coop - we just built a shed and the chicken section is the same dimensions. Our goats love to get in the chicken coop, so that photo made me laugh. I would love to invite you to link up with me at http://www.backyardfarmingconnection.com/
    Thanks!
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Would you be willing to share a copy of the plans? We're building over the winter to get ready for spring. We've scavenged windows, pallets, and lumber!

    beingfrugalbychoiceblog@gmail.com

    Sarah at www.beingfruaglbychoice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your coop! It's truly beautiful. AND safe and functional. I am sharing this post on my FB page this morning.

    I would love for you to also share at my weekly Farm Girl Blog Fest:http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/11/farm-girl-blog-fest-8.html

    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog. Fresh Eggs Daily posted a pic of your coop on FB; it is adorable. Love the color and the little porch. Also saw your "For unto you is born this day" wooden sign. I love it! Would buy that in a heartbeat. Great job! That's the kind of Christmas decor that is not only beautiful and creative, but meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow very nice coop! It's a chickens dream house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was one great ideal you loved your cop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. I have some pictures of it in the Christmas Coop post. but noting really detailed. if you would like some pictures of the run please email me at chores_chandeliers@hotmail.com and I'll gladly send you some via email.

      Here is the link to the Christmas Coop
      http://choresandchandeliers.blogspot.com/2012/11/christmas-coop.html

      Delete
  15. Thanks for this valuable information. Worth recommending to our friends and followers. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. random- but what color is that coop? I love it! I would love to know. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) not a problem.
      It is Monsoon by Glidden.
      Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete