Monday, October 29, 2012

Painted wood floor


When we bought our home 2 years ago it had wall to wall carpet in EVERY ROOM!!!!
Without exception!!!  Who does that???
Well the more people I talk to, the more common I hear it is.
It seems that many people have purchased homes with carpet in EVERY ROOM!
Don’t get me wrong, nothing feels better then plush, soft, clean carpet 
but not in a kitchen or bathroom.
Over the past 2 years I have replaced floor in both my kitchen and bath.

This year we got new living room carpet.
But before we did I had an idea.
I pulled up the carpet by the front AND FOUND WOOD FLOORS!!!!
But not pretty wood floors.  They were in BAD SHAPE!
I did not mind one bit.  I decided to paint them. 
YES PAINT, not refinish.
I can hear some of you saying, “What?!?!  YOU’RE CRAZY!”
But they would have taken a lot of work to refinish and still not looked that great 
due to large gaps between boards.


I did very little prep (started around 10 am).
I took my radial sander and sanded down and rough spots.
I was not trying to be perfect!  I liked the flaws in the floor.
After sanding I gave the floor a good sweep and painted a quick coat of primer.

I picked white and cream to paint the floor.  They were leftover exterior paints.
I painted the whole floor white that morning before noon (the primer dries REALLY fast).
Then around 6 pm I started to tape.  I wanted a chevron pattern. 
WHAT A PAIN TO TAPE!  It took me almost 3 hours to tape.

I then painted the cream.
I pulled up part of the tape while it was wet and decided it was not a high enough contrast.
I headed back down stairs and found a taupe color. 
I did a dry brush technique over the cream.
Dry brush is when you use a dry brush and don’t put much paint on your brush 
and you let it “feather out”.
I did not want to cover the cream completely.
I wanted to still see the cream through the taupe.


LOVED IT!!!
Pulled the tape off and headed to bed @ 1:30.

The next day I did 3 coats of Polly over the top.
Waited 24 hours and set the furniture back on it!
From start to finish it took 3 days.


I could not be happier with it.
I love the distressed look the dry brush gave since the floor already had so many imperfections.


What do you think?
Would you paint your floor?

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the zigzag! You are so creative. I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever you get awesome ideas like this, how about you just pay me a visit? I'll cook or bake for you while you redecorate and get crafty with my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is freaking fantastic!!!! What a great idea and it's soooo cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea! Just wish I had the patience to tape a floor for 3 hours. I also love your blue door.

    ReplyDelete