Monday, July 28, 2014

balance beam

Ever since we went to the circus this spring the cowgirls have wanted a tight rope {yes one way up in the air}...ha ha yeah right, that's not happening {at least one of the cowgirls has received my coordination}.  We compromised with a balance beam.  They were on board {yay, much safer}.  The hubs is such a softy and can't tell the girls no {I on the other hand do it all the time} so he whipped it out in no time {less than a half hour from start to finish}
here is a quick photo tutorial of what he did.
THE COWGIRLS LOVE IT!!! !! {Who could blame them!}

Friday, July 25, 2014

breakfast burritos on the grill

Last week I posted {on facebook and Instagram} this picture.  I have received a lot of requests for my recipe so I decided to make a blog post to share........

Last week my family went camping and we each had to provide a meal.  I had breakfast. One of our favorite breakfasts is breakfast burritos.  I like to relax when camping so I don't want to spend all my time preparing meals. So I decided to assemble the burritos at home, wrap them in tin foil, and freeze them.  Then I just threw them on the grill that morning {they were partially dethawed when i put them on the grill}

My recipe is all approximate, because I never measure!!!!!!

1/2 lb sausage
1 cup hashbrowns (I prefer the chunk hashbrowns but I've used both and both work fine)
6 eggs
1 package taco seasoning
Tortilla shells
Shredded cheese

Brown the sausage in a skillet, season with 1/3 of the packet of taco seasoning, set aside.
In the same skilled cook the hashbrowns and season them with 1/3 of the taco seasoning, set aside.
(I like add in peppers with the hashbrowns when I have them on hand)
In the same skillet scramble up 6 eggs with the remaining 1/3 of the taco seasoning.
Mix the Sausage, hashbrowns, and eggs together in the skillet.
Assemble the burritos in tortilla shells, with the mixture and shredded cheese.
You can either eat them now, OR wrap in tin foil and freeze for later!
Serve with salsa.

This should make about 6-8 burrittos 
{depending on how how big of shells you use and how full you stuff them}

Definitely a Suzi HomeFakeer worthy recipe!

Thursday, July 24, 2014

nothing a little rust and distressing wont fix!!!

My mom had this old hutch and she asked me to redo it for her.
It has been hanging out in my garage for months!
{don't worry} It had good company,
I have other furniture out there waiting to be 'fixed up'. 
This past week I finally started in.
It was a simple 1 day project (my favorite kind)

She gave me complete creative control.  
Her only request was to get rid of the ugly plastic windows. 
I had no idea what color to paint it.
So I went 'shopping' in the mis-mix paint section of the lumber yard.
After picking my paint color it was time to do the prep work.
removing hardware+sanding=boring 
I always knew what I was going to do with the windows.
Chicken wire!!!
When we did the coop we had VERY LITTLE left over
and the hubs wanted to throw it away.
I stashed it away in a safe place for a future project.
I am so glad I did .  It was perfect for this hutch!!!!!
I love that there is some rust on the chicken wire!!!!
Click here to see my technique for painting and distressing. 

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

classroom projects have begun

My wheels have been turning since I accepted the job.  If you haven't heard yet I am the new art teacher at a nearby school.  I will be teaching K-12 Art.  I am SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!  I have so many ideas.  Classroom layout, decorating ideas, lesson plans, classroom rules, hallways displays, oh the list go on....

Where do I start? I sat down an wrote down lesson plan ideas for all grades and tried to map out the first few projects we will do for each.  I don't have class numbers yet and my classroom is under construction so I can't get in there to really feel things out much.  But I am getting new windows and sinks.  I am pretty darn excited about that!!!

I started a few projects here at the house.  A chair (for my desk), a coat tree (I can't stand jackets on the floor, they are trip hazards and it's the art room so there are a lot of spills), and a piece of wood (to make a sign out of).

I started by painting them all turquoise last week.
Then today I painted "Mrs. Campbell" on the wood and took a sander to it to distress. 
I just added some ribbon (by stapling it to the back) to hang it with.
(yeah I match, it wasn't planned)
Next I took the sander to the chair to rough it up and then I recovered the seat.  
I found a beach towel on clearance and I LOVED the pattern.
It was a cheap and practical "fabric" to use.
Cute huh???
Recovering a seat is easy!  All you need is fabric, scissors, stapler, and staples.
I just go over the original seat cover.
I love how the chair turned out and I have a bunch of "fabric" left over for other projects. 
And then lastly I distressed the coat tree with the sander. 
 My 1st 3 classroom projects are finished!
I can't wait to get into my room and start getting it all set up and organized!!
Here are a few of my other purchases for my room...Oh the possibilities

DietBet Winners posted

Our DietBet has came to an end.
It was so much fun and we lost 329lbs as a group!!!!  
Congrats to EVERYONE who joined it!!!
Click here to head over to Taylor's blog to see the extra winners!
Remember, if you won you need to send Taylor ( )
an email with your mailing address so we are able to send out your prizes!

I met my personal goal of hitting my 50lbs lost since last year at this time!  
Check back soon to see my before and after post!