I asked my High School students "WHAT IS ART?"
It's definitely a loaded question.
After our discussion they each wrote their own "art is..." statement.
I posted them out in the hall.
Here are some of my favorites...
- Art is everything, good, bad, happy, and sad around you. You can't always see or hear it, but you always feel it.
- Art is a masterpiece of your imagination.
- Art is anything you want it to be.
- Art is creating something that sparks others imagination.
- Art is where I take references from all the information I have gathered and put it all together.
- Art is something expressed using your imagination. It shows who you are without speaking a word.
- Art is expressing your emotions with a media.
- Art is the one way I can express what I see and feel in and about this world and my own life without worrying what others think of it because they see what I want them to not what.
- Art is the hot sauce on the chimichanga of the world.
I am trying to get my students to look at art deeper.
We are talking about the process not just the product.
In my opinion sometimes the process is more important then the final project!
So what is my "Art is..." statement?
Art is the journey on the way to the final product.
Have a fabulous week!